Heads is secure BIOS replacement that provides tamper-evident features to detect when the BIOS or important boot files have been modified. The official project page can be found at the official Heads GitHub page and we base our Heads BIOS off of this code. On Purism laptops Heads is built as an executable on top of the same coreboot BIOS that we have used in the past but instead of coreboot running SeaBIOS to detect and boot into your devices, coreboot runs Heads instead.
Currently Heads is available as part of an open Beta program and while this documentation will describe how to build, install, and use Heads on Librem hardware, it is still a complicated process intended for more technical users and involves manually flashing a BIOS. We have created a community Matrix channel for Heads users at #community-heads:talk.puri.sm.
- About Heads
- Heads Beta Installation Instructions
- Download Coreboot
- Generate GPG keys to use with Heads
- Download and Flash Heads Firmware for your Librem hardware
- (Optional) Build Heads for your Librem hardware
- Perform initial Heads configuration
- Update Heads Firmware for your Librem Hardware
- Other Resources
- Report an Issue