Setting up Your Phone¶
The following sections describe how to set up your Librem 5 for the first time.
You will need the following item:
- nano-SIM card – this is provided by your mobile network service provider
These optional items can also be installed
- microSD card
- 3FF format (micro-SIM sized) smart card
Note that Birch and Chestnut models of the phone accepted 2FF format (mini-SIM) smart cards.
The phone accepts a nano-SIM card and a microSD card in the slot marked in the diagram below. These are installed together using the tray included with the phone.
Place the phone on a flat, hard, level surface with the screen facing down.
Insert the point of the extraction tool into the hole at the end of the tray, at right angles to the side of the phone.
Push the point firmly into the hole until the tray pops out, then gently pull the tray out of the slot.
Insert the nano-SIM card into the tray on the edge of the phone, as shown in the diagram below. Optionally insert a microSD card into the vacant slot.
The socket should click into place when closed.
The phone will need to be charged before it can be used.
- Plug the charger into a mains power supply
- Place the phone on a flat, hard, level surface
- Connect the phone to the charger via the USB cable provided
The indicator light should appear red to show that the phone is charging. It will turn off again when the phone is fully charged.
- Leave the phone to charge for at least an hour
- Unplug the charger from the power outlet
- Unplug the USB cable from the phone
To troubleshoot charging issues see the Troubleshooting section.
Ensure that the screen is visible. Locate the power button.
Hold down the power button until the indicator light appears green. The screen will light up shortly after.
If the phone fails to power on then there may be an issue with the battery. See the Troubleshooting section to investigate further.