The Librem Key is a USB security token that can be used to store GPG keys, manage passwords, provide multi-factor authentication, and can integrate with the Heads tamper-evident BIOS to detect BIOS-level tampering. The official product page is where you can order the key. See About the Librem Key for instructions on how to use the Librem Key.
Know Your Rights: This product contains Free Software that is licensed under the GNU General Public License version 3 or newer. A copy of that license is available here. You may obtain the complete Corresponding Source code from Purism at the firmware’s project page.
- What’s the default PIN?”
The default user PIN is 123456 and the default admin PIN is 12345678.
- How do I change the default PIN?
gpg --edit-pinon the command line. See About the Librem Key for more detailed instructions.
- Does the Librem Key support U2F?
Not at this time.
- How much storage does the Librem Key have?
The Librem Key is not a USB thumb drive and can’t store regular files.
- GPG isn’t seeing my Librem Key.
Ensure the scdaemon package is installed. See About the Librem Key for more detailed instructions.
- Where’s the source code?
Key slots: Three key slots supporting RSA 2048-4096 bit and ECC 256-512 bit
Supported elliptic curves: NIST P-256, P-384, P-521 (secp256r1/prime256v1, secp384r1/ prime384v1, secp521r1/prime521v1), brainpoolP256r1, brainpoolP384r1, brainpoolP512r1
Protocols: CSP, OpenPGP, S/MIME, X.509, PKCS#11
One-time password storage: 3x HOTP (RFC 4226), 15 x TOTP (RFC 6238)
Integrated password manager: 16 entries
Random number generator: 40 kbit/s true random number generator
Tamper-resistant smart card
Life expectancy: > 100,000 PIN entries
Storage time: > 20 years
USB: USB 2.0, type A
Dimensions: 48 x 19 x 7 mm
Safety and environmental compliance: FCC, CE, RoHS, WEEE
- About the Librem Key
- Managing GPG Keys
- Detecting Your OpenPGP Smart Card
- Change or Unblock a PIN on the Librem Key
- Generate GPG Keys On Your Computer
- Back Up your GPG Keys
- Move GPG Subkeys Over to The Librem Key
- Factory Reset GPG Keys on The Librem Key
- Generate GPG Subkeys on The Librem Key
- Change Language Settings on the Librem Key
- Decrypt LUKS-encrypted Drives with Librem Key
- Automatically Lock the Desktop When Removing the Librem Key
- Using the Librem Key with Heads
- Technical Specs
- Other Resources